Our crew are like family here at Captain’s Club, so we thought it was about time you got to know them a little better. Here are some little-known facts about our crewmates, as well as their recommendations for the top things to see and do whilst staying here in Christchurch.
Head Chef, Andrew
First up, our Head Chef, Andrew, who oversees all aspects of the kitchen, from hiring the staff and paperwork to ordering and general day-to-day business. He’s been with us for almost 15 years and his soufflé has been on the menu since day 1 – so it must be a winner. Believe it or not, he was also once given a box of Roses chocolates by the lovely Ronan Keating!
Here are Andrew’s top recommendations of things to do during a trip to Captain’s Club:
- Sunny trip to Hengistbury Head
- Rainy walk to the New Forest
- Beer or gin on the terrace at Captain’s Club
Head Receptionist, Niccy
Next in the spotlight is our Head Receptionist, Niccy, whose claim to fame is that she performed a backflip dismount from the giddy heights of a flying trapeze in NYC aged 59! For the last 14 years, Niccy has ensured our guests have the best possible experience with us, from reservations right up to departure. Through staff training and constant review of procedures, she’s always seeking to find ways to enhance our customers’ stays.
Here are the top things to do during your stay, according to Niccy:
- Take the ferry from outside the hotel down to Hengistbury Head and walk along Mudeford/Friars Cliff beach to Highcliffe Castle
- Take a horse-drawn carriage ride through the New Forest
- Simply relax in the Quay Bar in front of the fire, and enjoy a fabulous CC cocktail
HR and Guest Relations Manager, Juliet
Our HR and Guest Relations Manager, Juliet, has been part of the Captain’s Club crew for 7 years. Her love for adventure has seen her backpacking through remote corners of the globe, jumping out of planes at 15,000ft, and diving with sharks. And she was also behind the Captain’s Club Dinner in the Sky – an event which saw us serve a delicious meal to guests whilst suspended 100ft in the air by a crane!
Here are her must-do experiences whilst staying in Dorset:
- Have a wonderful early morning walk to Stanpit Marsh – it’s teeming with gorgeous nature on the river
- Spend a sublime couple of hours paddleboarding up the River Stour
- Re-energise with a board of crunchy king prawns and a ‘Juliet special’ (ginger beer with smashed strawberries!) on the Captain’s Club terrace
Food and Beverage Manager, Marcin
And finally, we have our Food and Beverage Manager – Marcin. He joined the team back in 2009 and, in that time, met and married his partner who was also part of our crew! Marcin is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of the food and beverage department. This includes service in our lovely restaurant, bar, conference and banqueting department, the club terrace as well as room service. And if he had £1 for every time someone mispronounced his name, he’d be a millionaire!
Here’s his run-down of the perfect Dorset getaway:
- If you are staying for one night, I would definitely recommend skipping the sightseeing to make the most of the hotel facilities. From the delicious food in our restaurant and mouth-watering cocktails in our vibrant Quay Bar to the ‘escape from reality’ spa – there is something for everyone!
- If you have more time, then I’d say a walk over Hengistbury Head is a must, where you will enjoy spectacular 360-degree sea and harbour views from the top
- If you’ve never tried paddleboarding before, we have the right place for you! Christchurch Harbour has shallow water, making it a very safe place to enjoy a day out
Stay tuned to our social media channels to discover more about our crew and things to do during your stay.